POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:11:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: Ken
Date: 12 Jan 2001 10:52:29
Message: <3A5F287C.139688BB@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> Just because you *can* find and change the behavior of the macro doesn't
> mean you have to.  I'm sure plenty of people here use Chris Colefax's
> macros without the slightest clue how they work, and there's no reason
> why any other macro, particularly one that's included with the program,
> wouldn't be the same.

When I saw this -

#macro Gradient2 (Vector)

  #local FX=vnormalize(Vector).x;
  #local FY=vnormalize(Vector).y;
  #local FZ=vnormalize(Vector).z;
  #local Len=vlength(Vector);

  function {
      min(1,max(0,(x*FX + y*FY + z*FZ)/Len))
  }

#end

I concluded I have absolutely no idea what it does, how to use it,
nor do I stand any chance of modifying it with any predictable outcome.
However I understood exactly what Rune was asking for and delighted
at the thought of something basic but very useful being added to the
program that both new and experienced users could take advantage of.

I guess we cater to the mathematical and programmer elite these days
leaving the rest of us to play with solid colored spheres and boxes.
(sorry, cheap shot)

> Something I'd love to see in the parser, though perhaps it would be too
> confusing, is the ability to invoke macros using alternate syntax, so
> you could have macro invocations that looked more like first-class tokens.

What you propose is nothing short of extraordinary. I applaud your
thinking process. Now if you would just....